The House of Refuge is a historically significant structure located on the south end of Hutchinson Island near Stuart, FL. Constructed in the 1870's this is the last survivor of a series of rescue stations located along the east coast of Florida to aid mariners forced ashore and shipwrecked. Set no more than 2 days walk along the beach, these houses were stocked with food and water to sustain the stranded mariners until rescue.
This project involved the repair of damages inflicted by Hurricanes Francis, Jeanne and Wilma in 2004 and 2005. Our survey of the structure revealed that the wind forces had stressed the building frame and started to displace some of the structural members. We designed a concealed bracing system to jack the displaced members back into alignment and to prevent future damage.
The Shaffer Group, Inc
2440 SE Federal Highway Suite 110 Stuart, FL 34994